CIAM, using high scientific and technical potential of its scientists and experts, as well as the largest experimental base in Europe, successfully carries out international scientific and technical partnership and cooperation with foreign companies, research centers and universities.
The Institute has established relations with research centers and institutes worldwide – ONERA (France), DLR (Germany), NLR (Netherlands), CIRA (Italy) as well as leading aerospace and engine developers in Europe and Americas – Safran Group, Airbus Group, Embraer, Bombardier, Dassault Aviation, Rolls-Royce Plc, MTU, Avio Aero.
Cooperation with the following international partners is constantly growing: research organizations from India such as GTRE, DRDL and NAL; Chinese companies that are part of the AVIC, AECC and COMAC; as well as universities in Europe and China.
Moreover, the Institute continues to cooperate with its traditional partners from the CIS countries.
Over the past 20 years, the Institute has fulfilled more than 350 contracts and grant agreements with foreign customers and international partners.
On a contract basis, the Institute provides the following services to foreign customers:
- design of aero engine units and systems;
- technical expertise of aero engine units and systems;
- research of environmental problems associated with an aero engine’s operation;
- testing of aero engines and their components;
- certification testing of aero engines;
- research of samples of aviation fuels and oils.
Since 1998, the Institute has been participating in research projects of the European Union Framework Programs, which address topical issues of improving flight vehicles and their propulsion systems.
CIAM made a significant contribution as a partner in the projects of the 6th, 7th and 8th (Horizon 2020) Framework Programs of the EU:
- AGILE "Aircraft 3rd Generation MDO for Innovative Collaboration of Heterogeneous Teams of Experts";
- ENOVAL "Engine Module Validators";
- LEMCOTEC "Low Emissions Core Engine Technologies";
- ESPOSA "Efficient Systems and Propulsion for Small Aircraft";
- COBRA "Innovative Counter Rotating Fan System for High Bypass Ratio Aircraft Engine";
- DisPURSAL "Distributed Propulsion and Ultra-high By-pass Rotor Study at Aircraft Level";
- DREAM "Validation of Radical Engine Architecture Systems";
- ICE-TRACK "Support of icing tests (runback-ice behaviour of surfaces) and icing mechanisms";
- CESAR "Cost Effective Small Aircraft";
- VITAL "Environmentally Friendly Aero-engine";
- HISAC "Environmentally Friendly High-Speed Aircraft";
- ORINOCO "Cooperation with Russia in the field of advanced engine noise control systems based on plasma actuators" (project of a coordinated competition between Russia and the EU);
- X3- NOISE "Aircraft external noise research Network and co-ordination";
- RUMBLE "Regulation and Norm for Low Supersonic Boom Levels".
CIAM continues active cooperation as partner in the European Union’s 8th (Horizon 2020) Framework Programs in the following international projects:
- ICE GENESIS "Creating the next generation of 3D simulation means for icing",
- IMOTHEP "Investigation and Maturation of Technologies for Hybrid Electric Propulsion",
- FUTPRINT 50 "Future Propulsion and Integration: Towards a Hybrid Electric 50-seat Regional Aircraft",
- AGILE 4.0 "Towards Cyber-Physical Collaborative Aircraft Development".
These projects consider various aspects of development of the future flight vehicles and aero engines for their propulsion systems that will meet target indicators specified by ACARE’s Flightpath 2050 – the fundamental document that defines the strategy for the development of aviation in Europe. International projects in which CIAM participates are highly relevant and stimulate development of advanced technologies and technical solutions in order to improve characteristics of domestic aviation. On the Russian Side, participation of CIAM in international cooperation projects of the EU is financed by the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation.
CIAM scientists represent Russia in foreign scientific societies such as ISABE, ICAS, ASME, AIAA, SAE. One of the Institute's specialists is the official representative of the Russian Federation in the Committee on Aviation Environmental Protection (CAEP) of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The Institute takes an active part in the preparation and work of congresses and conferences by presenting scientific reports of its scientists, participating in program committees and competitions of international scientific organizations and societies.
CIAM, with the support of the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation, The National Research Center "Zhukovsky Institute", UEC, RAS, ASSAD and the Union of Aviation Industrialists of Russia, organizes international conferences, congresses and symposiums, among which can be noted: International Conference on Aviation Motors (ICAM 2020); Aircraft Engines of the XXI Century - scientific-technical congress on aero engine within the International